High School Parent Message
March 18, 2022
Mar 25,26, & 27 Spring Musical - Legally Blonde (info & link below)
Mar 31: End of Q3
Apr 1: Beginning of Q4
Apr 8: Q4 Grades ready
Apr 14: Early Dismissal/Beginning of Spring Break
Apr 25: School Resumes
2022 NBC G&T Testing Registration
If you would like your child to be considered for Northern's Gifted & Talented program, register your child for the NNAT3, a universally recognized test used to identify giftedness. Please register by completing the registration form no later than March 24. Read the attached letter in its entirety. If you still have questions about the test, feel free to contact the Program Director, Dr. Leslie Puente-Ervin at Lpuenteemail@example.com. For more information about Northern's G&T program, visit the G&T website.
Please be reminded that there is a dress code. Please review the following with your children and reference page 26 of the student handbook for the following information:
- NO sheer clothing
- Undergarments may NOT be exposed
- Bottoms MUST touch tops
- Bottoms MUST cover personal areas
PTSC and Amazon Smile: The Parent Teacher Student Connection (PTSC) has an Amazon Smile account for any community members who would like to support the PTSC while shopping online. Simply go to http://smile.amazon.com and search for the "Parent Teacher Student Connection" in the list of organizations (it is listed as being in Columbus, NJ) and then go through that portal to do your Amazon shopping. Amazon will donate 0.5% of all purchases to the PTSC. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any login questions.
No Place for Hate
No Place for Hate is a student-driven initiative aimed at providing a model for combating intolerance, bullying, and hatred.
Students at NB pledge to try their best to actively speak out against acts of bullying, discrimination, bias, and outright hate.
This month in celebration of Women’s History Month, students will be provided with a slide show displaying incredible women who have contributed to society in some way. On Monday, March 21st, during extended Homeroom, students will be asked to find a quote from one of the women (or another woman of their choice). Students will also be encouraged to ask a Northern Woman for words of wisdom. Students will then submit their two quotes (one from a famous woman and one from a Northern woman) and they will be displayed around the school. Teachers were encouraged to celebrate Women’s History month within their own content, as well!
Multicultural Day will be on April 14th. Students will be visiting the celebration during their Health and PE classes. Students will be asked to join a Google Classroom where they will be provided updated information.
JBMDL Women’s History Month Celebration
Please see this flyer for an upcoming event at JBMDL aimed to recognize and celebrate women who have served our nation. Attendees will be able to ride in the C-17 simulator and tour other aircrafts alongside some of the female Airmen at McGuire Air Force Base.
If interested, please contact Second Lieutenant Logan Konst at (609) 754-8001 or at email@example.com by March 22
Pesticide Application Notification
Please see the notice found at this LINK for information regarding an upcoming pesticide application on school property scheduled for this spring.
We have reached the point where masks are optional and we have ceased contact tracing in school. Students who are ill, should stay home, that has always been the case, even before COVID. With the end of mandatory masking and contact tracing, it becomes even more important for parents to screen their children daily before sending them to school. Below are the guidelines our school nurses use:
COVID-19 Compatible SICK Symptoms that indicate school absence and a COVID Test
• At least one of the following symptoms: new or worsening cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, new loss of taste and/or smell OR
• At least two of the following symptoms: fever, chills, shivers, muscle aches, headache, sore throat, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion, or runny nose
Students who come to school with a combination of these symptoms will be sent home by the school nurse and require a negative COVID test before they can return to school. So save yourself the trouble and simply keep your child home if they have any of these symptoms. You can report your child’s absence on the attendance line: 609.298.3900 x 2029.
Any questions, please contact our school nurses, Ms. Crane & Ms. Nocon firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com please include both nurses in your email. Sometimes they must deliver bad news. Please know that the directions given are based on the information they have from the public health authorities. Please be patient as they navigate these many challenges and work to keep our school a safe place to be for everyone. Thank you :)
If you need it, the Burlington County Health Department is offering walk-in testing for COVID. Please follow this LINK for location and information.
Burlington County COVID Vaccination Sites: Of course, the CDC continues to recommend vaccination as the best way to prevent the spread of COVID. Please see this LINK regarding more information on vaccination sites in Burlington County.
NB 2021-22 Covid-19 Dashboard
Spring Musical Spirit Week
NB Theater is proud to present Legally Blonde The Musical March 25th, 26th, and 27th. To celebrate the performances, please join us in a spirit week leading up to opening night!
Monday 3/21: Workout clothes or team jersey
Tuesday 3/22: Twinning Day
Wednesday 3/23: College Apparel
Thursday 3/24: 90's/2000's Throwback
Friday 3/25: Pink out
Northern Burlington's Theater Department is proud to present Legally Blonde The Musical! A fabulously fun award-winning musical, based on the adored movie, follows the transformation of Elle Woods as she tackles stereotypes and scandal in pursuit of her dreams. Action-packed and exploding with memorable songs and dynamic dances - this musical is so much fun, it should be illegal! Two outrageously talented casts and four shows to enjoy: March 25th at 7:30 PM, March 26th at 2:30 PM and 7:30 PM, and March 27th at 2:30 PM. For more information and to purchase tickets visit: http://our.show/nbcr
Spring Musical Fundraiser
Support the Spring Musical, Legally Blonde, by purchasing Gertrude Hawk Chocolate! Click the link to browse the catalog of delicious chocolate that will ship directly to you. Purchase now through April 1st just in time for Easter! https://tinyurl.com/nbchocolate
This year the prom will be held at Lucien’s in Berlin on June 3rd for juniors and seniors. There will be a buffet dinner and a limit of 500 tickets sold for students.
Tickets will be on sale electronically at the following times:
Seniors: May 2 - 6
Juniors: May 9 - 13
There will be 25 outside guests permitted to attend the prom. Outside guest applications were available on March 14th in the main office. Completed applications will be accepted from April 4th - April 12th only. No late or incomplete applications will be accepted. Upon receiving approval, the NB student will be able to purchase their ticket and the guest ticket in the main office. More information to come closer to the date.
Senior Trip Update and MEDICAL FORM CLARIFICATION:
Mandatory Senior Trip Parent Meeting will be on Wednesday, April 6th at 6:30pm in the Main Cafeteria. One parent/guardian and the student must attend. Trip rules and regulations, the itinerary, and expectations of students will be discussed. Please see the attached letter for more information.
In the letter sent home informing you of the April 6th meeting, you received a medication form. That form ONLY needs to be completed IF you take prescription medications that are NOT on file with the school.
You will be contacted by the nurse if your form for medication(s) on file is expired. You will need to complete a NEW form for a medication that you DO NOT normally take in school but WILL need to take on the trip. ie. morning or nightly medication taken prior to or after school. You may copy the form if you need more. If your student does not take prescription medication, you may ignore the medication form.
Senior Scholarship Application:
The Class of 2022 Senior Scholarships & Awards Google form application for this year will be available March 28th with a firm deadline of April 8th. Each year dozens of local scholarships offering thousands of dollars in scholarship awards are available to Northern Burlington Seniors. In addition, more scholarships are available on Naviance Student so seniors should log into their account frequently as new scholarships are added each week.
Important Update on Cap & Gown Orders
Last Chance To Order...
ORDER BY SUNDAY, March 27TH
Order now and you will get a cap and gown that fits for graduation! We cannot guarantee your gown size if you do not order by: Sunday March 27th. After the 27th, gowns will be ordered in bulk. Order HERE
PowerSchool Senior Form
The senior form has been closed. Mrs. Guevara will reach out to the students if they have not filled it out. If you have any questions, please email Ms. Guevara at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Early Dismissal of Students
Please be advised that no student under the age of 18 can sign themselves out from school early even if they are drivers. As per our Board of Education Regulations:
5230 LATE ARRIVAL AND EARLY DISMISSAL
No pupil under the age of eighteen shall be released from school before the end of the school day except in the presence of the pupil's parent(s) or legal guardian(s) or an agent of the parent(s) or legal guardian(s).
Limited copies of last year's yearbooks are still available for purchase. Please contact Tina Kim, email@example.com for details.
Assessment Schedule 2021-2022
During the course of the school year, students will participate in various standardized assessments. Assessment Information and NB’s Assessment Schedule is available on the website: Student Assessment
Revised District Calendar as of February 22, 2022.
Parent Feedback Requested on Workshop Content and Times
We are pleased to be able to continue to offer virtual parent workshops and would like some feedback from you. Please complete this survey by March 18th, 2022 so that we can provide workshops that are of interest to you and meet your scheduling needs.
Clinical Corner Spotlight:
- Parenting in 100 Words: Spot Their Strengths and nurture the characteristics that will get your teen far in life. Please click the link to access the short video: Link to video
- The Nurtured Heart Approach (NHA) trainings are being held through Partners For Kids and Families, in 2022. Please see link for the flyer - NHA calendar link. All trainings are virtual. For those who need a refresher on what NHA is: “The Nurtured Heart Approach consists of a set of strategies that assist children and adults in further developing self-regulation and has been found to be effective with individuals of all ages. It focuses on transforming the way someone perceives themselves, and the world around them.”
- Promoting Me, Myself, and I – COMING SOON. An after school self-esteem skill building group for students at Northern. Coming this April & May 2022 at both the High School and Middle School. Please reach out to your child’s School Counselor if you would like for your child to participate.
- Care Solace helps our Northern Burlington community find mental health care providers and substance use treatment centers. Their Care Companion™ team is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, and 365 days per year to quickly connect you to carefully verified providers in your community. Students, staff, and families may access Care Solace services in two ways:
- Call (888) 515-0595 at any time. Support is available in 200+ languages. A dedicated Care Companion™ will help you every step of the way to research options, secure appointments, and follow up to make sure it is a good fit.
- For an anonymous search, answer a few questions to get matched with an extensive list of care providers at https://caresolace.com/site/nbcrsd
- Are you or your children in need of winter coats? Generations has new winter coats available in sizes 2T to adult XL. Please call 609-267-4001 to make an appointment to come in & pick up coats.
- Parent Feedback Requested on Workshop Content and Times
- We are pleased to be able to continue to offer virtual parent workshops and would like some feedback from you. Please complete this survey by March 18th, 2022 so that we can provide workshops that are of interest to you and meet your scheduling needs.
- Looking for parent support for your child with special needs? The Mom2Mom Helpline connects parents of children with special needs to our trained counselors who are also parents. Talk to someone who understands you and your family. Call 1-877-914-MOM2 (1-877-914-6662).
- Looking for financial assistance, food pantries, medical care, and other free or reduced-cost resources: https://www.findhelp.org/
Sally López, Ed.D.
Follow the Principal on twitter @nbc_hsprincipal
Follow the Superintendent on twitter: @NBCSUPER
Webpage at www.nburlington.com